Quick to read
Build your vocabulary
Why read it?
- It only has 224 pages, which means it’s quick to read.
- It has a very interesting first person narrative style, which is very engaging.
- It feels like the main character of the book is talking directly at you. It is like being involved in an intimate conversation.
- It is great practice of conversational English.
- It has some challenging vocabulary, but this doesn’t distract from understanding the main context and plot.
‘Excuse me, sir, but may I be of assistance? Ah, I see I have alarmed you. Do not be frightened by my beard. I am a lover of America . . . ‘
This is the opening sentence of this fast-paced, award-winning thriller. The story takes place in an outdoor café in Lahore during just one evening. A mysterious stranger with a beard invites you to join him for tea. You learn his name, you learn about his time studying and working in the United States and how he loved the West and a Western woman. But as the night gets darker, the true reason for the meeting becomes clearer and clearer.