Build your vocabulary
Why watch it?
- This film has clear standard American accents.
- The dialogues are generally short.
- There is a lot of visual context to help you understand what is happening.
- A lot of the vocabulary used is related to everyday life.
- You can learn some useful phrasal verbs and slang expressions.
The Pursuit of Happyness is a biographical drama based on the real life story of Chris Gardner (Will Smith), a San Francisco salesman who is trying to build a future for himself and his 5-year-old son (Jaden Smith). He starts an unpaid internship for a stockbroker-training programme, where only one in twenty interns gets a job at the end of it. Having no salary and losing his apartment, Gardner and his son become homeless. However, his self-confidence and the love and support of his son keep him fighting.