Here we want to recommend some great YouTube channels and video-based websites that teach you about all kinds of interesting and inspirational topics.
- Soul pancake - This is a really interesting and inspiring YouTube channel. On their about page they say that they will make you “think, laugh and cry”. The channel’s best-known videos include the Kid President series and My Last Days: Zach Sobiech, which is an inspiring story of a teenage musician dying from bone cancer. We would also recommend their The science of … series, which explores the topics of happiness and love.
- Crash course - Here you will find videos from many fields: World History, Biology, Literature, Ecology, Chemistry, Psychology and US History. The videos are generally between 10 and 15 minutes long. The accents are clear, but the presenters do speak quickly.
- CPG Grey - These videos summarise interesting topics from a variety of fields. They are generally short, around 5 minutes long. The narrator’s accent is clear but the speech is quick.
- Mental floss - This channel brings you videos on trivia-related topics. They have three main programmes: Big questions; The list show; and Misconceptions. The videos are dynamic and interesting and the presenters have clear American accents.
- Learning something new is a great way of practicing English. Watching something inspiring is wonderful for personal development.
- It is really motivating to be able to learn something new in a language that isn’t your mother tongue.
- The material that we recommend here is all dynamic and makes learning really fun and interesting.
Because these resources are for native-speaking adults and the speech is generally fast we would recommend them if you have an intermediate level or above. Try them all and see which ones are best for your listening level.