Here we will introduce news-related listening resources for second-language learners. These are videos that have been specifically adapted or simplified so that they are more understandable to students.
- Voice of America (VOA) - Here you will find a variety of resources. Among them are audios (downloadable) and videos about current news events.
- BBC learning English – Words in the news - Here you will find videos about current affairs. Each video introduces words that you will find in that news topic and then reads the news to you.
- NYTimes - This is the learning English section of the New York Times. Here you will find interesting current affairs videos to watch.
- Watching news-related resources is great practice of English listening because they are about important topics that you would normally discuss in your own language.
- These ESL resources simplify the sometimes difficult task of understanding the news in English. They will usually speak a lot slower and use a more simplified vocabulary.
We would recommend these resources for students with lower levels. If you have an upper-intermediate level or above then check out our other recommendations for news-related listening activities.