Build your vocabulary
Why watch it?
- This series has clear standard American accents.
- One of the characters has a Latin-American accent.
- The main topics in this series are everyday life issues: family, relationships, work etc.
- The dialogues are generally short and the vocabulary is quite informal and conversational.
- There is a lot of visual context to help you understand what is happening.
Modern Family is a comedy series which is presented in an interesting ‘documentary’ style, where the characters are frequently talking directly into the camera as if being interviewed. The series portrays the lives of three families living in Los Angeles, who are interrelated through Jay Pritchett. As the name suggests, this family represents a modern-day family and episodes are based on situations which real life families have.