No, we don’t mean that you have to have conversations out-loud with yourself in public! What we are talking about here is starting the habit of an inner monologue. The idea is to change the language in your head, your inner voice, to English. This is the voice that you use every day when thinking, planning or making decisions. For example, instead of thinking to yourself in your mother tongue “I’m hungry. What shall I have for dinner?” think this phrase in English.
- It is a powerful and effective technique that can help improve your spoken English.
- A lot of famous polyglots admit to having used this technique to learn their many languages.
- It is a way of creating those essential neuronal connections which will allow you to speak without thinking.
- It might be difficult to do at first, but if you really make an effort to do it regularly you’ll notice an improvement.
- The best thing is that you can do it anywhere and anytime and you don’t need anything or anyone else!
Anywhere you like!! But we would suggest that, at first, use it in moments of the day that are relaxed so that you can get used to it. Soon you’ll be able to do it any time you want. We find it especially great for: the supermarket; waiting for something or someone; on transport; organising and planning; and making decisions.